Patient Device ID Cards for Heart Valve Recipients
If you are a recipient of a St. Jude Medical™ heart valve, you will receive an ID card that contains important information. When you first receive your valve, your hospital will submit a device-registration form to us and you will receive a temporary ID card. You will receive a permanent plastic card in the mail within 90 days of your surgery.
Carry your ID card
Always carry your ID card with you.
- The card includes information that those assisting you during an emergency will need to know. This includes:
- Your contact information
- Your physician or clinic contact information
- A description of your implanted valve
- When you go through security checkpoints at the airport, you may need to show your ID card to security personnel if your device sets off the detector.
- Keep in mind that, typically, security systems will not affect your valve. Move through metal detectors at a normal walking speed and do not pause for more than a few seconds. If your device sets off the detector, tell security about your valve and present your ID card.
- If security personnel choose to use a handheld wand, ask them to move it over your device area quickly.
Verify your information
When you receive your ID card, check the information on it carefully and contact us (using the information below) if:
- You do not receive your card within 90 days
- Your card contains any errors
- You change your contact information or doctor
- You need a replacement card
Keep your information updated
We provide you with easy ways to be in touch with us to change the information that is on your device ID card, including your name, address and doctor information.
If you received your heart valve in the United States, Canada or Australia, you can:
If you received your device in a country other than the United States, Canada or Australia, please contact the St. Jude Medical distributor in your area.
Protecting your privacy is important to us
We need to keep your records up to date. The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires this tracking. By submitting your information, you agree that St. Jude Medical may keep a record of your information and use it to respond to your requests.